Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Mud Splatchers and Sounding Canes

The Essex Boat Jumble, held at Ardleigh Showground, Old Ipswich Rd took place last weekend. Everyone was worried about the weather, having had so much rain previously, and hoped it wouldn't be cancelled due to a washout. Hats off to the organisers of the event; Chaddock and Fox Promotions, it must be nightmare having to cancel something like this, being booked so far in advance, specially as they need so many staff for the event run smoothly.
 Creeky Dave took a stall and let me cadge floor space and table corner beside a few thumbed nautical tomes that were going for a song. What bargains you lovely people had.

My line of custom made sounding canes. Orders are now being taken
 I took along a few pieces of custom made East Coast kit - rare as hens teeth - that I let go at bargain basement prices too, to a few non-suspecting boaters. My line of splatchers were popular, and I received many jovial remarks about them.  A few folk even went as far as parting with their boaty cash to be adorned in a pair. It was smiles all round. The 'Creeksailor' sounding canes drew much interest as well with folk intrigued to learn I have a custom made version for each river on the East Coast. You can buy bean sticks anywhere but not like these. These are authentic custom made Creeksailor specials, and I can hand craft a stick or splatcher for any creek or river. Give it some stick...
This is the list of canes that were for sale on the day.
Blackwater Special, Mk I Crouch, Swale Stick 6', Orwell 8', Stour 6', Deben, Ore - Alde Mk IIs,
Mk II Rays'n, Neap-Tider 4' special, Thames Max 8', Roach 6', Colnesider's 6', Mk II Medway,
Walton Poker 6', Butley Wand 6', Spitway Jab, Low-Tide Frenzy.

Splatchers were used by winkle pickers. I always carry a pair on board
PS. I'm producing a new line of 'hand' splatchers, for when you fall flat on your face in mud while wearing splatchers!