Sunday, 19 September 2010

Southend Barge Match

Ropes on Reminder. A clear deck is a clear mind.



Some images from the recent barge match.
I had been invited to take part in the match as crew aboard Phoenician. The previous evening I had been up to my knees in mud down the creek after a late sail when the phone rang giving confirming orders from her skipper to board at Southend pier end by 10.00hrs, for the race start at 11.00hrs.
After an early rise from the bunk I headed down the A130. From walking the seawall the view of the barges were a pretty sight sitting way out on the mudflats. The mile long train journey to the pier end is very enjoyable with the views bringing back memories of sailing to the Blackwater from the Medway. I had arrived safely and boarded the barge where I wasted no time in making a cuppa for a couple of the lads, but somehow before the start gun went off I had ended up aboard Reminder.. I was doing well, a visit aboard two old girls in one day... This was a great start to what turned out to be a fabulous day.
If you have not had the opportunity to be aboard one of these vessels in a force five and six with full sails, it is recommended and truly memorable.
Under her skippers command Reminders young crew worked tirelessly with the physical task of trimming sail or raising and lowering her giant lee boards.
A great days sailing on the Thames Estuary.

Reminders crew in race mode


Acres of canvas, Reminder racing at Southend


Sb Phoenician racing off Southend


The view from Reminders stern of Edme, close on our tail with the fleet following